Monday, October 27, 2014

HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE BROWNIE

Homemade Chocolate Brownie

When my sister Jayashree told me that she had made Chocolate Brownies and posted a picture on Whatsapp, I wanted to give it a try for my son Viggy’s birthday. While I had made note of the ingredients, I forgot to ask her the recipe. She was busy at work when I wanted to make them and my other sister Lakshmi came to my help. She read a recipe from a website, but there also we found a couple of things not to our liking – like the sugar content seemed too much. I checked out six more websites before settling on my mix & match version of Chocolate Brownie. I must say that it tasted absolutely divine. 

Ingredients

Maida – 1 cup 
Sugar – 1 cup
White Butter – 1 cup (*some recipes suggested vegetable oil as an alternative)
Cocoa Powder – ½ cup
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Vanilla Essence – 2 tsp
Milk – 4 tbsp
Beaten Curd – 4 tbsp
Chopped Nuts – A handful (**only walnuts are fine; or you can add cashew nuts & almonds too if you like)
Salt – 1 pinch 

Chocolate Brownie cooling on the tray

Method

1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add sugar to it. Stir for a couple of minutes before switching off gas. Let the mixture cool, stirring on and off so that the sugar melts completely.
2. Run maida, baking powder and salt through a sieve and add to a mixing bowl. 
3. Add the cocoa powder to the maida and mix well. 
4. Once the butter-sugar mixture is cooled, add chopped nuts, vanilla essence, milk and curd to it. Stir well and add the maida-cocoa powder mix to the liquid.
5. Mix with a ladle till there are no lumps. The mixture will turn out to be a gorgeous shade of dark brown. The consistency of the mixture will be that of Idli ka atta. 
6. Grease a baking tray of size 9”x7” with butter.
7. Preheat the oven at 250 degrees for ten minutes.
8. Pour the brownie mixture on the tray and bake for 25-30 minutes at 200 degrees.
9. You can pierce with a toothpick to check that the brownie is cooked and know it’s ready if nothing sticks to it. 
10. Remove the tray from oven and leave it to cool for a couple of hours. (Cutting up the brownie before cooling is a strict no-no).
11. Once cool, cut up the brownie into squares or rectangles as you please and enjoy.

I promise you the Chocolate Brownies taste just awesome! 


No comments:

Post a Comment