|Vegetable Pie-sagne with grilled cheese topping|
To make a Vegetable Pie-sagne in a baking tray measuring 9”x7”
WHEAT BREAD LAYER
Wheat flour – ½ cup (125 gm)
Dry Yeast – 5 gm
Olive Oil – 3 tsp (cooking oil can be used)
Sugar – 1 pinch
Salt – 1 pinch
Water – as required
1. Warm 20 ml water and dissolve the sugar in it.
2. Add the dry yeast and stir till it dissolves. Keep aside for ten minutes till it foams.
3. Take a mixing bowl and add the flour, 2 tsp oil, salt and the yeast.
4. Mix well adding water only if necessary.
5. Make into a sticky dough.
6. Pour the rest of the oil and make into a ball.
7. Wrap the dough into a damp cloth and keep it covered for one hour.
8. After an hour, the dough should have doubled in size.
9. Press it in and knead for two minutes.
10. Take the baking tray and brush the base and sides with oil. Dust it lightly with some flour.
11. Pat the dough flat into the base of the tray to make a thin layer.
12. Preheat the oven at 250 degrees for 10 minutes.
13. Bake the wheat bread in the tray for 10 minutes.
The bread for the Vegetable Pie-sagne is ready. Take a pie server and loosen the bread from the tray, but let it remain in it.
Milk – 400 ml
Corn flour – 2 tbsp
Garlic flakes – 2-3 garlic pods
Butter – 1 tbsp
Cheese – 1 small cube
Black Pepper powder – 4-5 corns (freshly ground)
Dry Oregano – 1 large pinch
Salt – to taste (Need to be careful as cheese also contains salt)
1. Take a saucepan and heat the butter in it.
2. Add the garlic flakes and stir fry before adding the corn flour.
3. Turn it around for a few seconds before adding the milk.
4. Keep the gas flame on medium.
5. Stir intermittently as you add salt, oregano and pepper powder.
6. Grate the cheese directly into the mixture.
7. Now stir continuously till the white sauce thickens.
8. Taste a bit and add salt or pepper as required before switching off the gas.
Delicious white sauce is ready for use in the Vegetable Pie-sagne.
|Veggies form the second layer over the wheat bread|
Ingredients (Use all or any of your choice)
1. Potatoes – 2 (medium sized; peeled and cut in cubes)
2. Cauliflower – 250-300 gm (cut into flowerettes)
3. Green Peas – a handful
4. Carrots – 2 small (peeled and cut in cubes)
5. Onions – 2 (large; peeled and cut in cubes)
6. Red Bell Pepper – 1 small (cut in squares)
7. Yellow Bell Pepper – 1 small (cut in squares)
8. Green Capsicum – 1 medium (cut in squares)
9. Green chillies – 2 (chopped fine)
10. Garlic flakes – 3-4 garlic pods
11. Butter – 2 tbsp
12. Salt – to taste
1. Boil veggies 1, 2, 3 & 4 in water with some salt in it, till they are semi-cooked.
2. Drain the water and keep aside.
3. Heat the butter in a kadai and stir fry the garlic flakes & chopped green chillies in it.
4. Add the cut onions and shallow-fry till golden in colour.
5. Add all the three cut bell peppers and stir fry with some salt till they are slightly soft.
6. Add the boiled veggies and stir for a couple of minutes before switching off the gas.
The vegetables are ready for the pie-sagne.
1. Thin Wheat Bread layer on baking tray
2. White Sauce
4. Cheese – 2-4 cubes
1. Spread the cooked vegetables over the layer of wheat bread on the tray.
2. Spread the white sauce over it, ensuring that all the veggies are covered.
3. Preheat the oven.
4. Bake the pie-sagne for 20 minutes at 200 degrees.
5. Take the tray out and grate cheese over the top.
6. Grill for 10 minutes.
The cheese melts and turns a golden brown in colour. Cut the pie up and serve. It’s the most delicious Vegetable Pie-sagne I promise.